In search for a more natural approach in the objective of treating depression, many people consider the effectiveness of herbal remedies for depression. One good thing why many turn to herbal remedies is the truth that they are less expensive. This is a wise option – why turn to costly antidepressant drugs when there is available solution that won’t hurt your pocket at all?
Herbal remedies have reduced incidence of negative side effects.
Next rationale is because herbal remedies have reduced incidence of negative side effects; however, not because they are natural doesn’t mean that there is absolutely zero chance for unfavorable side effects. Of course, there is always possibility that adverse reactions may come about – only they are far less incidents and less severe than those of commercially prepared solutions.
Common Herbal Remedies for Depression
* St John’s Wort
There are many researches showing evidences that St. John’s Wort is considered as the wonder drug for depression. While others attest to the fact that it is not to be considered as a wonder or a surefire drug that can treat depression. Those who are contesting that it be considered as a wonder drug; however cannot deny the reality that St. John’s Wort can really help in many ways in the treatment of depression. Whether be it a wonder drug or not, the good thing lies in the fact that it can really aid in the treatment of depressive patients.
On the other hand, there are studies that claim that St. John’s Wort should not be used in combination with other chemically prepared conventional anti-depressant medicines. This is because there is a great possibility that both may interact and may result in unpleasant effects. For this reason, it is highly recommended to consult with a doctor in case you want to take St. John’s Wort with other types of drugs.
* Ginkgo Biloba
Researches prove that ginkgo biloba stimulate blood flow to the brain, which is essential in uplifting the mood of a depressed individual. For this matter, ginkgo has been considered as one of the most effective herbal remedies for depression.
* Siberian Ginseng
Siberian ginseng is believed to be having capacity to improve the stability of certain neurotransmitters present in the brain. Stability results to effective functioning in terms of adjusting to certain physical stresses within the external environment. It has been confirmed that Siberian ginseng help improve abstract thinking as well as stimulating the immune system of the body.
Common Herbal Remedies for Depression include:
St John’s Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Siberian Ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Oat Straw, Basil, Clove, and Ginger.
Other herbal remedies you can use:
* Treat Depression with St. John’s Wort: St. John’s Wort is a known antidepressant herb that has strong evidence in relieving anxiety due to depression. A daily dose of 900 milligram of St. John’s Wort should be given to patients with mild to moderate depression for immediate relief.
* Depression and Oat Straw: Oat Straw is a known herb that is high in silica, a substance that can sustain and strengthen the central nervous system. This herb has been long used to treat depression. Just consume 500 milligrams of oat straw twice a day and you should be all set.
* Basil Treatment: Basil is a known natural herb tonic. It helps uplift fatigue and pressure, the usual root causes of anxiety and depressions. Basil oil can be used as inhalant. It can also be mixed in baths or used as a massage therapy.
* Clove Natural Treatment: Clove is a popular herb used by those who suffer from sleep disorders due to depression.
Bring into boil a quarter of an ounce of crushed clove with 2 ounces of rose petal and an ounce of mint. Inhale the steam. It will help you rest and feel at ease.
* Ginger for Depression: Aside from its uplifting flavor, ginger also has high quality anti-depressant properties. It has been long used for treating anxiety and depression.
It should be taken or consumed accordingly, as it may cause mild heartburns when taken in excessive doses.
Even if research and studies prove that herbal remedies for depression can be effective enough in the treatment of depression, moderate and severe clinical depression should always be consulted first with a qualified medical doctor. In the same way that any actions and decisions regarding the use of herbal remedies for depression require your doctor’s consent because of possible interaction with medicines being taken.